Please feel free to post records of sightings for locations within the Croydon area on this Wiki. To do so, just click on the arrow next to the 'Edit' button at the top of the page, select 'edit source' (or click on 'edit source' next to the month header) and add records to the relevant month using the standard format. Please be careful not to delete or edit records already posted. Alternatively, you can email the sightings (with date and location) to johnbirkett(at)hotmail.co.uk. Note that records submitted to this website will be shared with the RSPB Croydon Local Group for use in their survey of birds in Croydon. We may get back to you for more info about records of scarcer species and records of other wildlife as records posted here may also be submitted to the London Natural History Society and the Surrey county bird recorder. Do not post records on this website unless you are happy for them to be shared with the other organisations mentioned here. Please do not post details of scarce breeding birds (those included in Schedule 1 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, amended 2000) except to alert other observers to the presence somewhere in the borough when it should be shown as Location undisclosed. This includes sightings at a location where a breeding attempt is suspected, not just if nesting is confirmed. Any reports giving a specific location will be removed or modified by the website administrator. We would still like to know of such potential breeding records, so please e-mail them to johnbirkett(at)hotmail.co.uk. If posting records from a private garden include the street name if you wish, but do not give the house number without express permission. You can use these links to find out more about Birdwatching Sites in Croydon and for information about Ringed Birds.
There is a separate page for recording sightings of species other than birds, eg mammals, dragonflies, butterflies, etc. Click on the link here to access Other Wildlife. Regular contributors identified below by only initials are - John Birkett (JB), Gill Flinn (GF), Gavin Hawgood (GH), Simon Harris (SH), David Hayes (DH), John Hughes (JAH), Nicola Hunt (NH), Dave MacMillan (DMac), Dave Miller (DM), Mike Netherwood (MJN), Alan Pearson (AJP) and John Watson (JW).
2018 & 2019 Croydon Bird Report[edit | edit source]
The combined 2018 & 2019 Croydon Bird Report has now been published. An electronic copy can be found on the RSPB Croydon Local Group's website. The price has been maintained at £3.50.
Note that the text of some earlier Bird Reports is now being uploaded to this website and can at, be found here.
2020 South Norwood Country Park Report[edit | edit source]
John Hughes has prepared a personal report of birds seen at South Norwood Country Park during 2020. You can download a copy of it by using this link to the RSPB Croydon Local Group's website where you will find the report in a news article of December 2020.
Photos Request[edit | edit source]
If anyone takes photographs of birds in Croydon and is willing, to let the RSPB Croydon Local Group use them in their annual report can you please get in touch with John Birkett (johnbirkett(at)hotmail.co.uk).
[edit | edit source]
If you go bird watching, please do not put yourself or others in danger, observe all current rules/guidelines and maintain social distancing at all times.
June 2021[edit | edit source]
- 14th - Shirley (Devonshire Way): Grey Heron (on roof); 2 Mallard; Kestrel; Great Spotted Woodpecker; 7 Herring Gull; 3 Swift. (KW)
- 13th - Shirley (Devonshire Way): Great Spotted Woodpecker; 9 Starling; Goldfinch; 7 Swift; Kestrel; Sparrowhawk. (KW)
- 13th - Waddon Ponds: Kingfisher; 2 Swans + 7 cygnets; Collared Dove; Lesser Black-backed Gull; 8 Long-tailed Tit; 2 Little Grebe; 2 Swift low over pond. (Sue Henning)
- 13th - Wandle Park: 2 Reed Warblers; Common Whitethroat; 4 Moorhen with 8 chicks; 8 Swift over. (Sue Henning)
- 13th - South Norwood Country Park: Pair Mute Swan with 7 cygnets (incl. 2 'Polish'), 5 Egyptian Goose, 3 Little Grebe, 3 Grey Heron, 1 Little Egret (DMac and Sarah Woodcock)
- 12th - South Norwood Country Park: (9:00 am) Pen led 7 cygnets off the island leaving Cob and corpse of No.8. Cob defended corpse from 3 Magpies initially before departing; Magpies in turn seen off by Herring Gull which dragged remains to water's edge (DMac)
- 11th - Shirley (Devonshire Way): Great Spotted Woodpecker; bald Blue Tit (no head feathers and very peculiar looking); 12 Starling (lots of breeding activity throughout day); Sparrowhawk (f) soaring (20.24); 4 screaming Swift (20.45). (KW)
- 11th - Location undisclosed: 2 (possibly 3) Peregrine.
- 11th - South Norwood (Pittville Gdns) (4.45pm): Green Woodpecker calling intermittently in Gdns (GH)
- 11th - Sanderstead (Briton Hill Road): Greylag heard flying over. (JB)
- 10th - Shirley (Devonshire Way): Sparrowhawk, Grey Heron (over), screaming Swift (21.05), large, white winged gull with juvenile tail marking. (KW)
- 10th - Wandle Park: At least 2 Reed Warblers in the pond reeds, Moorhen with 5 small chicks, Grey Heron lurking, 2 Great Spotted Woodpeckers (inc one mature juv), 2 Swift over. (Sue Henning)
- 9th - Shirley (Devonshire Way): Grey Heron (over), 3 Herring Gull, Collared Dove, 12 Starling, 4 Swift. (KW)
- 9th - South Norwood Lake: (07:45 09:00) 14 Canada Goose + 4 goslings, 2 Egyptian Goose, 12 Mallard, 15 Tufted Duck, 2 pair Great Crested Grebe, 12 Moorhen, 15 Coot, 1 Herring Gull, 2 Stock Dove, 2 Collared Dove, 10 Swifts, 1 Green Woodpecker, 3 Great Spotted Woodpecker, 2 Pied Wagtail, 2 Song Thrush singing, 5 Blackcap + 3juv, 1 Whitethroat, 4 Chiffchaff, 1 Goldcrest, 6 Long-tailed Tit, 1 Coal Tit, 6 House Sparrows, 10 Goldfinch, (JW)
- 8th - Shirley (Devonshire Way): Common Buzzard; 15 Starling; House Sparrow (m); 2 Collared Dove; 2 Goldfinch; 4 Herring Gull; 3 Swift (high over). (KW)
- 8th - Shirley (Shirley Way): 7 screaming Swift low over (including one seen emerging from under eaves of house). (KW)
- 8th - Millers Pond: 3 Goldfinch, 47 Canada Goose (including 9 goslings), 4 Egyptian Goose, 1 Greylag Goose, 11 Mallard, 8 Tufted Duck, 4 active Coot nests with 9 young visible at various stages of development, 3 Moorhen, 5 Starling, 2 Collared Dove, Swift (over). (KW)
- 8th - South Norwood Lake. Juvenile birds seen over last few days. House Sparrow, Starling, Blue Tit, Blackbird, Goldfinch, Carrion Crow. (Alan Simpkins)
- 8th - Location undisclosed: Hobby calling and circling very low until challenged by Kestrel. Please email me with details so I can add to the record. (John Birkett)
- 7th - Shirley: (Devonshire Way): House Sparrow (m), 20 Starling, Sparrowhawk circling, Common Buzzard, 5 Swift (3 AM, 2 PM). (KW)
- 7th - Heathfield: 2 Swallows, 1 Grey Wagtail, 1 Kestrel. (JB)
- 7th - Addington (Kent Gate Way): Singing Lesser Whitethroat. (JB)
- 5th - Park hill park: red kite (Alice Stringer)
- 5th - Shirley (Devonshire Way): House Sparrow (m), 2 Collared Dove, Grey Heron, Great Spotted Woodpecker, 10 Starling. (KW)
- 5th - Sanderstead (Timberling Gardens): 2 Red Kites (Hooma Earp)
- 5th - Shirley (Devonshire Way): Red Kite (over 17.13), 2 Swift, 2 Goldfinch, 7 Starling, Collared Dove. (KW)
- 4th - South Norwood Country Park: 2 Linnet on scrub path. The first seen here since 19/5/2018. (JAH)
- 3rd - South Norwood Country Park: 2 Mute Swan + 8 young, Greylag Goose, 3 Egyptian Goose, 3 Cormorant, 2 Little Grebe (nesting), 5 Lesser Black-backed Gull, 7 Swift, Kingfisher, 2 Kestrel (nesting), Lesser Whitethroat, 5 Reed Warbler. (JAH)
- 2nd - Norbury SW16: (7pm) approx 20 Swift ( too fast to count exactly) (SEC)
Archived Records[edit | edit source]
If you have any records that you wish to see added to archived data please contact me. JB